Dunlop Village Hall is situated in Main Street in the centre of the village within a designated conservation area. The original hall, the part now known as the Bowlers’ Hall, was built around 1880 of whinstone. A large brick addition, the main hall, was built in 1924, extending the building along Kirkland Road. From the outset, the Hall was owned and managed by the Community, but in 1934 ownership was transferred to Ayr County Council and with subsequent local and regional government reorganisations it is now owned by East Ayrshire Council.
The Dunlop and Lugton Regeneration Group was established with a view to regenerating, improving and revitalising the communities of Dunlop and Lugton. After extensive consultation with local residents, it became clear that the best way forward was to take over the management of the village hall from East Ayrshire Council so that it could be extended, renovated and improved, and become a focal point for village life. To achieve this end, Dunlop and District Community Company was set up in 2002. The Company successfully negotiated a lease of the village hall from East Ayrshire Council for a period of 25 years (with an option to extend it for a further 10 years) at a peppercorn rent, thus bringing the hall back under community management.
In 2004 a new Board of Directors was appointed and over the next two years the Company raised £500,000 to renovate and upgrade the hall including the cafe extension. A new kitchen, improved toilet facilities and disabled access were incorporated and the building was re-opened in January 2007 with a celebratory Opening Festival weekend.